NRF-DAAD Scholarship Program 2023! As part of its In-Country/ In-Region Scholarship Program, the DAAD participates with the National Research Foundation (NRF) of South Africa to provide funding for Master’s and PhD degrees at South African Universities to South African nationals and permanent residents.
The DAAD and the NRF jointly grant the NRF-DAAD In-Country Scholarship to full-time Master’s and PhD students in South Africa studying in any discipline at any South African university.
NRF-DAAD Scholarship Program
Information about applying for briefly research stay in Germany is AVAILABLE HERE for scholarship holders.
Five multidisciplinary summer schools are available in Germany for scholarship recipients to choose from throughout their financing term.
University of Frankfurt – Environmental and Remote Sensing Data Analysis via Geospatial Technologies in Research and Teaching (August 27 – September 18, 2023).
Hamburg University of Applied Sciences (HAW Hamburg) – Education and Research orientated Training in Health Sciences (August 1 – August 31, 2023).
Heidelberg University – Enhancing Academic Qualifications in Teaching and Research in Global Health (August 8 – August 31, 2023).
University of Applied Sciences Cologne (TH Köln) – Climate Change Adaptation: Risk Assessment and Design of Interventions (CC-Adapt) (August 12 – September 3, 2023).
University of Leipzig – Innovators, Doers and Entrepreneurs [at] summer school (IDEAS) (September 3 – 24; Virtual Conference: June 26 – 30, July 24 – 28, and October 18 – 20, 2023).
- Host University: South African Universities
- Scholarship Offered By: NRF-DAAD, South Africa
- Financial Coverage: Fully Funded
- No. of Scholarships: Several
- Study Level: Master’s and PhD Degree Programs in multiple Fields
- The criteria for the scholarship is that applicants have South African citizenship or permanent South African residence.
- In the year of application, applicants must be 30 (Masters) or 32 (PhD) years old or younger. The NRF sets a minimum GPA criterion of 65% for postgraduate financing.
- A full-time program is required for applicants.
- The online application form
- Letter of motivation
- Letter(s) of recommendation
- Invitation letter from your German professor
- A workplan
- A monthly stipend for living expenses of 861 € per month (for Master students) and 1.200 € per month (for PhD candidates)
- Health/ accident/ personal liability insurance
- A lump sum for travel expenses
Interested applicants seeking for NRF-DAAD In-Country Scholarship for Master and PhD Students should apply through Application Portal: NRF-DAAD Online Application Submission System.
Please note that the name of the Call is NRF Postgraduate Scholarships.
- The NRF Postgraduate Scholarship Call for funding in 2024 including closing dates can be accessed via the link.
- Once on the NRF Connect system, select the First-time doctoral scholarship application template, and select ‘NRF-DAAD’ scholarship under application applying for.
- NRF Postgraduate Scholarships Call documents are accessible via the link.
- Please refer to the Application and Funding Guide document from the link for step-by-step guidance on completing the application on the system.
The last date for application submission is July 11, 2023.